*WARNING* HUGE FILE. DOWNLOAD TO SEE FULL.
First off, before I explain this process I want to say a few things.
It seems almost everyone has an opinion of what they feel I should change about this image. Please don't forget, that this is MY piece. It's my interpretation of the X-Men. I have that right as an artist. Not that I'm against "critique" or such, but know that there's a time and place for those things. I'm not an artist who's just starting out "learning" how to do this.
I do this for a living, which I guess means "professionally". I get paid to do work like this. This was not an attempt to learn how to do something, I do that in my off/spare time enough (much of which I don't even show on dA). So in that case, I didn't ask for "help" on this image. I know exactly what I'm doing in this case.
Also, this piece took over the course of 3-4 days to complete. Those who are expressing their "concern" haven't even probably attempted something of this scale themselves. Considering that I'm pretty confident now with layouts like these, I can make that statement.
I'm still learning however, but I really don't need my hand held by a group of people right now. I've did all that hard work myself when NO ONE was interested in my art, before I got a bit of play. Only reasonable help from close friends/artists pushed me along the way when I was stuck. I am not "stuck" here.
To the process. As you remember the screenshot updates, it was not done necessarily in this order. But this is the typical order of a piece of mine:1. Rough Sketch
- Very blurry and such, it was kinda hard for most to make out. This is how I start out 95% of my work. XD2. Lineart
- I draw the lines right off that rough sketch with a fine brush on Sketchbook Pro on a separate layer.3. Base Flats-
In Photoshop, Amanda helped on the guys, and I baseflatted the girls. 4. Color Flats
- I flatted each individual article of clothing and such on top of the Base Flats.5. Shadows
- Added shaded cels/tones to the characters. This was done with a dark bluish-purple color on the layer setting Hard Light
- I added the powers. I painted these in with various brushes. I played around with the Layer Style
settings to achieve the desired effect.7. Highlights/Lighting
- I added certain lighting elements using Layer Style
, and the highlights to the suits. They're superheroes, which involves latex and such. So things had to reflect and light has to bounce of them. That takes consistent study to pull off feasibly. With the skin, I painted it to contrast against the reflective light of the suits.8. Final Touches
- Added Storm's scarf thingy and halftone and tint on the enemy section, and put a light Gradient Map
over the whole image to mesh the whole image together visually.
And that's it!